Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

Prepare To Be Surprised- Part 1

Recently I recorded one of my favorite movies, "Dan In Real Life." I got a chance to watch it, again, last weekend. Man, I love that movie. One of my favorite parts of the movie is the ending, it's their wedding reception, everyone's dancing. The song they're dancing to is "To Be Surprised," by Sondre Lerche (Actually he did the soundtrack for the movie, it's a fun CD, you should give it a listen).  I love this song, it speaks to me, I hear God's voice in this song telling me prepare to be surprised. God likes surprises of this I'm sure. I like surprises too, but how do you prepare to be surprised? Is it possible? It just seems like a mind bender to me. What do you do to be prepared? It's seems like an oxymoron to me. You know the saying "Expect the Unexpected," that makes sense to me, I get it. You just know that unexpected things will happen in life. 


Today I was thinking about this whole concept of preparing to be surprised and I remembered something. My kids were young, all of the were still at home.  We had this toy lizard, it was about eight inches long and hard plastic. It was a tad chewed up by our dog but was in no way scary. On occasion one of my son's would casually come up behind me and say, "Mom, check this out," I'd turn around and he'd shove his hands, that were holding the toy lizard into my face.  I always reacted the same way, I'd gasp and jump back. He got a huge kick out of this.  We always laughed afterwards.  It was the element of  unexpected surprise in the ebb and flow of life. There it is! 


Sometimes God does surprise us with things that leave us breathless, dumbfounded, in awe, and we never saw it coming. I LOVE that about Him. Is it more about just trusting Him? I think so...


I'm excited to see the surprises He's got planned for me this year. I am expecting to be surprised. 




What's this photo got to do with anything? Surprise....nothing I just like it. 


P.S. At some point I got rid of the toy lizard!! 


P.S.S. Here's the song if you want to give it a listen. 





3 comments:

Patrick O'Dell said...

I do love that song.

Diane Reed Loew said...

the 4 sons have "surprised" me way too many times - I know I have had some days shaved off because of them. You do such a great job with your blog - enjoy it every time

Peggy said...

You need to put that picture on some card stock......breath taking beautiful! I would buy the cards.